Thursday, July 29, 2010

A New Adventure.....

So just call me crazy...everyone else does.

Like everyone else our family is sensing that a big change is needed.  We are concerned about what our children eat and are exposed to environmentally.  We are also concerned about the financial stability of our country.  Obama's camp chanted for change, I agree..it's time for a change.  However, I believe that the change is not going to come from the top, it's going to come from each household in America.  The government is not going to be the one to come and help our neighbors, feed our children, care for the homeless or help our nation's foster children.  It's up to us.  The government is not America, we are.

Enter the "big corporations" that want to take our tax money, pay out huge salaries and basically pollute our nation and our food source.  If we want big businesses to change, we are going to have to impact them with a vote from our purses.  If there is no demand for the chemically induced garbage they produce, eventually they will no longer produce it.  I've realized that I am part of the problem if I continue to purchase their junk.

Some time ago I watched a documentary called "No Impact Man".  While I cannot see our family being that extreme, I can see value in the issues that he brought to light.  I'm not going to give up running water, electricity or my morning shower.  However, I can use cloth bags, be conscious of the waste I am bringing in to our home and become a "locavore" (I love that term).  I'd recommend watching No Impact Man and another documentary called "Food, Inc."  Food, Inc. was hugely eye-opening for me.  I had no idea that my pre-made hamburger patties were treated with Ammonia!  In fact, Food, Inc. was so eye-opening that I found myself taking notes so that I could check the facts.  While I don't agree with everything...there was enough to make me think.."wow...what are we eating?"

For several years I've been committed to changing the way my family eats.  At one time we were a McDonald's supporting, junk food eating and pop addicted family.  My older children are now very conscious of things that contain corn syrup and caffeine.  Although I usually can avoid pop, coffee is something I'm not sure I can give up at this time.  I realize that although we need to make radical changes in the way our family lives, it's going to be one step at a time....

Let the journey begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment